Friday, May 23, 2008

Observation #6

Site: A pond in Melody Ranch
Date: May 22, 2008
Time of Day: 4:47pm
Temperature: 38 Degrees F
Weather Conditions: Very Rainy
Wind Contitions: Slightly windy
Soil Conditions: Wet

My observation area has very little change. At the moment it is raining a significant amount. At this rate it has been rainy for the past few days. This will raise the water level if it continues to rain. This will benefit the vegation of the area which will provide more foods sources to local organisms and potentialy bring other or different organisms to this area. Today i have found eggs in the water. They are whitish,small, and slimy. I predict these eggs are frog eggs. Although i can be wrong i have seen the frogs mating with eachother around the same time of year. I have noticed that the male frogs are brownish green and are slightly larger. I have also noticed that the female frogs are smaller and blend into there habitat better than the males. I beleive that female organisms blend into there enviroment better than the males to hide from predators since they may be carrying ofspring. The males are also brighter colors so that they attrack the females to mate.
I also noticed the robin population of my area has increased. I have seen them flying around my house puite a bit. Since my house has high A frame peaks it is a popular place to lay eggs for birds in the spring. The only problem of this is that as most of you have heard i have cats and even though the birds lay there eggs every year there is still a dent in the bird population of jackson by my 4 visicous killers. Hopefuly i will see the eggs these birds have been laying and can discribe them in my next observation.

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Make sure that you capitalize the "I"s in your sentences for proper grammar! Good observations in your area, as well as your made connections to some of the ecology terms. Continue to make these deeper connections!